Fixing Cast or Screen Mirroring with Sound But No PictureNovember 15, 2022
The image or video does not come out when casting or mirroring to the TV, usually, because there are subscription limitations, outdated app/firmware, device problems, or device incompatibility issues. Screen mirroring or cast also required both TV and phone connected Internet via Wifi. A slow internet connection can cause pictures not to show on the TV.
The Cause of the Pictures Not Coming Out When Screen Mirroring And How To Fix It
Screencast or mirroring sometimes not working properly when you have Smart TV and phone with different brands. The latest phone usually has a built screen mirroring feature, like Samsung with a Smart View and LG with Smart Share. All those apps should be working on any Smart TV, but on some devices, there is an issue like pictures won’t show or the screen keeps loading.
Solution: Use 3rd party screen mirroring app like:
- ApowerMirror-Screen Mirroring
- Screen Mirroring – TV Cast App
- or you search for another app on Play Store that matches your TV or other devices. there are also apps for mirroring to Roku devices.
- Miracast avaiable for iOS & Android
Sample of some device compatibility issues:
OnePlus Phone: https://community.oneplus.com/thread/886856
Device Issue (For Chromecast or other Dongle User)
If you are using Chromecast or Dongle to cast video from your phone, the problems with no picture problem can be caused by your device.
Initial Troubleshooting Steps
Let’s start with some simple steps you can take to try and fix this issue:
If you are experiencing sound with a black screen when casting, there are several steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:
- Check your power source: Make sure your Chromecast is plugged directly into a power source. If you are using a USB port on your TV to power your Chromecast, try using a wall adapter instead.
- Check your HDMI connection: Make sure your Chromecast is properly connected to your TV’s HDMI port. Try a different HDMI input on your TV if the current one is not working.
- Check your internet connection: Make sure your internet connection is stable and strong enough to support streaming.
- Restart your devices: Try restarting your Chromecast, your TV, and your casting device.
- Factory reset your Chromecast: If none of the above steps work, you can try performing a factory reset on your Chromecast
Important Note: Always remember to unplug the power cord, not the HDMI cable plugged into the TV.
What to Do If Your Screen Is Still Black
If your screen is still black after trying the initial troubleshooting steps, don’t worry. Here are some more steps you can take based on the specific issue you’re facing:
|Issue||What to Do|
|Black screen with HDMI connection||Check your HDMI connection and make sure it’s secure.|
|Black screen with HDCP connection||Check your HDCP connection and make sure it’s secure.|
|Black screen and white (solid or blinking) LED light||This could indicate a power issue. Check your power supply.|
|Black screen and red or orange (solid) LED light||This could indicate a hardware issue. You might need to contact Chromecast Support.|
|Black screen and red or orange (blinking) LED light||This could indicate a software issue. Try updating your Chromecast’s software.|
|Black screen with no LED light||This could indicate a power issue. Check your power supply.|
|“Chromecast…,” followed by the spinning Chrome logo||This could indicate a loading issue. Try waiting a bit longer.|
|No signal error and blinking red or orange LED light||This could indicate a connection issue. Check your HDMI and power connections.|
Important Note: If you’re still having trouble setting up your Chromecast, don’t hesitate to contact the Chromecast Support Team.
Subscription Plan Limitation
If you use Netflix, HBO MAX, or Amazon Prime Video check your subscription. If you are on a mobile-only plan, you will not be able to cast or mirror your movie to TV. You may success cast or mirror your phone to your TV, but no pictures will show on your TV.
Streaming service with a mobile-only plan:
- HBO MAX Mexico Region
- Amazon Prime Video India Region
Solution: Upgrade your subscription plan
If you want to watch movies on your TV, the only solution for this is to upgrade your subscription plan. It may cost more monthly bills, but you can watch movies on your TV and get better video quality.
Outdated App, Firmware, or Software
If you rarely update your app or your TV software, mirroring may not work properly. Smart TV and streaming apps on your phone usually update their app regularly for better performance. Outdated software can cause pictures not to show or mirroring to fail.
Solution #1: Update your phone app and TV Firmware
- Update TV firmware: Go to Settings> Support > Software Update > Update Now. If the Software Update button Gray out, you need to change the source to TV and repeat the step above.
- Update Phone Apps. Open Playstore > Search your streaming app (etc Netflix). If there is an available update, click Update.
Solution #2: Reinstall App
If updating the app does not fix the problem, try to uninstall the app and then install it again. You need to log in again after installation is completed.
Some Tips to Fix Mirroring Not Working Properly
1. Restart your TV. if you are using Chromecast, unplug it then plug it back in.
2. Restart your phone or close all opened apps, then open the streaming app again.
3. If you are using Apple TV, make sure AirPlay-compatible devices are turned on and near each other. more details at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204291.
4. Use the same Wifi network for phone and TV