Why Does My Ring Camera Keep Going Offline?November 13, 2022
What often causes ring cameras to go offline is due to firmware update failures, so the ring camera becomes an error and cannot connect to wifi. the solution for this is issued by rebooting or resetting your camera setting and tried reconnecting it to wifi. The ring camera goes offline also can be caused by a weak wifi signal, slow internet connection, or power surge.
Failed Firmware Update
The ring camera will update and install device firmware automatically. During the update ring camera with AC power can still be used, but the battery-powered camera can’t be used while updating. But don’t worry this update usually happens during off-peak hours. When the update is happening the indicator light will flash and will stop flashing when the update is completed.
This update is sometimes not completed because of interruptions, like power off or device freeze during the update. When this happens, the device will not work properly and you will get a offline notification.
To fix this problem, you need to reset or reboot your ring camera.
Solution 1: Reboot Ring Camera
- For AC-powered devices to reboot the ring camera, unplug it from the power outlet and then plug it back in. Wait until the device finishes rebooting, then check your camera app if the ring camera is successfully connected.
- You must remove the battery and install it again for the battery-powered camera. You see instructions on how to remove the ring camera battery at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIz8e0Okhcs.
- If you still have access to your camera via Ring app, you follow this instruction Reboot your Ring Doorbell or Security Camera from the Ring App.
If after rebooting your camera is still offline try resetting the camera to the factory setting.
Solution 2: Resetting Ring Camera to Factory Setting
Resetting the Ring camera to the default setting will allow you to reset the previous wifi connection and reconnect your camera to wifi again. To reset the camera all you need to do is press the reset button usually orange, but on some devices it’s black.
Each camera version has a different reset button location.
- Ring Stick Up Cam Gen 1: Reset button will be visible after you open the cover on the back.
- Ring Stick Up Cam Battery: Open the battery cover and you will find the reset button near the battery slot.
- Ring Spotlight Cam Battery: Reset button located at the bottom of the camera.
- Other model reset buttons will be on top of the camera or under the cover at the back.
On Gen 1 camera you need to hold the reset button for 20 seconds to reset the camera to the factory setting, for the other gen you need to hold it for 10 seconds.
After you press the reset button light don’t the front of the camera will be blinking several times. Reset the finish when the light turns off.
After the reset finish, you must run setup your camera on your ring App again
- Remove the device from your Ring app
- Add the device again
- Setup connection with your Wifi
- If your camera is successfully set up, the camera will be online again.
Weak Wifi Signal
To check if there is enough wifi signal, go to the place where you install the ring camera, and check the signal wifi using your phone. If you can get 3 bars or more, your wifi signal is good. But if you only get 1 or 2 wifi signals, maybe this is cause your ring camera goes offline frequently.
How to fix a weak wifi signal ?
- If your router has an antenna, try to make it straight up.
- Move the router closer to the ring camera.
- Use Wifi repeater to strengthen the signal.
A power surge can cause electronic devices to break or not work properly. If your ring camera won’t turn on after your try to reboot or reset it, your ring device may be broken. If this happens maybe you need to replace it with a new one.
Check you electric plugs
If you are using AC powered Ring camera, power surges also can cause electric plugs to burn or melt. Unplug the ring camera electric plugs to check if it burned.
The Camera Battery Needs to be Replaced
When the camera battery life is near the end, it will not be able to save power for a long time. Even though you charged it at 100% battery power will quickly run off power and your camera will be offline. Ring provides Battery Pack to replace your old battery or you can search for it on Amazon. Battery prices start from $35, it depends on your camera model. Make sure the battery is compatible with your Ring camera before you buy.
Identifying the electric device problems required some tests to find the issue. If the first solution not working you can try another solution, and try again until you be able to fix it. Fixing the ring camera that keeps going offline also needs a few tries to find what may cause it. You can try my solution above to fix your ring camera problem and hope your camera works again. Thank you.