How To Fix Unrecognized Disc on PS4 & Keep EjectingAugust 15, 2023
What Causes The “Unrecognized Disc” Error On PS4
The “Unrecognized Disc” error on PS4 can be caused by various factors. Here are some of the possible causes:
- Outdated software: Running on outdated software can cause the “Unrecognized Disc” error on your PS4. Updating the software can fix the issue.
- Dirty or damaged disc: Dirt, dust, scratches, or other damages on the disc can cause the PS4 to not recognize it. Damage discs make the PS4 disc drive make noise when trying to read the game disc. it’s because the disc drives hard to read the game disc.
- Disc drive issues: Problems with the disc drive, such as a broken or malfunctioning drive, can cause the “Unrecognized Disc” error. In this case, you may need to contact PlayStation support for further assistance.
- System software issues: Issues with the PS4’s system software can also cause the “Unrecognized Disc” error. Rebuilding the PS4 database in Safe Mode can help.
How To Fix Unrecognized Disc on PS4
Rebuilding the PS4 database
If your PS4 doesn’t recognize a disc, you can try fixing it by rebuilding the PS4 database. It may help resolve the issue. Rebuilding the PS4 database will scan the drive and create a new database of all content. This operation might take a long time depending on the type and number of data items.
Important Things to Remember
- It’s safe: “Rebuilding the database won’t delete any of your saved data.”
- Backup just in case: “Even though the process is safe, it’s always a good idea to backup your game saves to the cloud (if you have PlayStation Plus) or a USB stick.”
- It might take a while: “Depending on how much stuff you have on your PS4, rebuilding can take from a few minutes to several hours. So, be patient!”
Clean the Disc
- Step: Eject the disc and clean it with a microfiber or soft cloth.
- Why: Dust and scratches can make the disc unreadable.
- Note: Be gentle to avoid causing more scratches.
Test with Another Disc
Step: Insert a different disc into your PS4.
Why: To check if the problem is with the original disc or the PS4 itself. If PS4 can’t read another disc maybe there is a problem with PS4 disc drive.
Power Cycle The Console
Turn off your PS4, unplug it from the power source, wait for a few minutes, and then plug it back in. This can sometimes resolve temporary software glitches.
Try Holding PS4 Vertically
Hold your PS4 sideways or vertically and insert the disc.
Why: Some users found this method effective, especially if the PS4 is on a dock or stand.
Update System Software
Make sure your PS4 is running the latest system software.
- Turn off your PS4.
- Wait until the white light on the PS4 goes off.
- Hold the power button until you hear two beeps
- Connect your controller using a USB cable.
- Press the PS button.
- In the Safe Mode menu, select “Update System Software.”
Note: If the disc still isn’t recognized, and it’s not damaged, consider seeking further assistance or joining PS4 fix communities online.
Buy the PS4 Game Digital Version Instead of the Disc Version
There are two ways you can get PS4 Game: a digital version or a disc version. But, did you know that the digital version might be a better choice if you want to avoid problems like disc errors? Let me explain why!
Benefits of Buying Digital Version
- No Physical Disc: With a digital version, everything is downloaded directly to your PS4. That means there’s no CD or disc you have to insert or remove.
- No Wear and Tear: Since there’s no physical disc, you don’t have to worry about it getting scratched, broken, or dirty.
- Always Available: Once you buy and download a game, it’s on your PS4 forever (or until you delete it). You can re-download it anytime if needed.
- No Lost Games: You can’t misplace a digital game like you can a physical disc.
Drawbacks of Using Disc Version
- Disc Damage: Discs can get scratched, cracked, or damaged easily. Once a disc is damaged, it might not work properly.
- Limited Lifespan: Over time, discs can wear out from being played too often.
- Need to Switch Discs: If you want to play a different game, you need to swap out the current disc for a new one.
- Potential Disc Errors: Sometimes, the PS4 can have trouble reading a disc, leading to errors.
PS4 Keeps Ejecting Disc And Beeping
If your PS4 keeps ejecting the disc, it can be caused by an error on the disc drive sensor. But a common problem it’s that the rubber near the eject button expands and pushes the eject button.
Steps to Fix the PS4 Ejecting Issue:
- Turn off the PS4 and unplug it from the power.
- Wait for 30 seconds to 1 minute before plugging it back in.
- Look for the small piece of rubber under the PS4.
- Gently pull out this rubber piece.
Important Note: This rubber is near the eject button. When it touches the button, it can cause the disc to eject. By removing it, you can prevent this from happening.
Why Does This Happen?
This issue is likely due to a design flaw. The rubber piece is so close to the eject button that it can touch it, especially if the PS4 is moved or bumped.
PS4 Disk Drive Replacement
If none of these steps resolve the problem, it may be an indication of a faulty disc drive. In this case, you have the option to replace the disc drive yourself or take it to a Sony-authorized service center. However, it’s important to note that attempting to replace the disc drive yourself may void your PS4’s warranty, so it’s advisable to seek professional assistance.
You can find replacement disc drives on popular online platforms like Amazon or eBay, but it’s essential to ensure compatibility and buy from reputable sellers.
Ultimately, if your troubleshooting efforts have been exhausted and the issue persists, contacting a Sony-authorized service center is recommended. They have the knowledge and expertise to diagnose and fix hardware-related problems, ensuring that your PS4 functions optimally.
Remember, it’s always a good idea to back up your game saves and other important data before performing any repairs or replacements to avoid any potential loss of data.
Can I clean PS4 disc with alcohol?
No, it is not recommended to clean a PS4 disc with alcohol, specifically isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol cleaners can damage PS4 discs1. Instead, it is suggested to clean the disc with water or a damp microfiber cloth.
Can you clean PS4 disc with glass cleaner?
It is not recommended to clean a PS4 disc with glass cleaner. Solvents such as window cleaner, paint thinner, anti-static aerosol spray, or abrasive cleaners can damage the disc.
Does toothpaste clean PS4 disc?
It is not recommended to clean a PS4 disc with toothpaste. While toothpaste can be used to fix scratched PS1 games, it is not recommended for PS4 discs. Toothpaste is abrasive and can cause micro-scratches on the disc surface, which can affect the disc’s performance.
Should I remove disc before turning off PS4?
Can I use hand sanitizer to clean a disc?
While some sources suggest that hand sanitizer can be used to clean a disc, it is not recommended. Hand sanitizers often contain a high concentration of alcohol, which can harm the disc.
Can you use vodka to clean a disc?
No, it is not recommended to use vodka to clean a disc, including a PS4 disc. Vodka contains alcohol, which can potentially damage the disc. It is best to avoid using alcoholic beverages or any other liquids that contain alcohol to clean discs